Thursday, May 14, 2009

Explanation of the name RustyArtist


The reason for this name is twofold: first, I love rust. I cannot resist a rusty object. My sisters joke that for my birthday or Christmas, all they have to do is go look around on the street till they find something rusty, and I will be happy – lol – it’s true! I think I even put it on my Christmas wish list one year – “rusty stuff”. I buy objects from thrift stores and MAKE them rusty. Like this shield – it started out plastic with a shiny silver emblem – doesn’t it look way better now?? ;) The second reason for this name is the idea that most of us are “rusty artists”. We get to express our creativity boundlessly in childhood, but soon it becomes less accepted as we “grow up” and are encouraged in other, more practical directions. So my creativity was very “rusty” when I finally rediscovered it a few years ago, and I’m still getting all my creative parts in working order. Can you hear the tin man saying “oil can…”?

No comments: