Tuesday, May 19, 2009

first tries


these were my first mixed-media art pieces. I had read an article on transferring images and absolutely HAD to try it! i used shots jason had just taken on our anniversary (for those of you who already saw this post yesterday, when jason got home i made him take new pictures for me, so these ones are better :)

Then I started taking my first art class – an intro to design class (with Barry Krammes – lol) – and I LOVED it! Just putting colors and textures and ideas together in visually appealing ways… felt so much like just playing! I was 26 and in a class with all these cute little college freshmen, many of whose skills with drawing or painting far exceeded mine… but I could hold my own with design! :) my 2 favorite pieces from that:

lovin' the silhouettes!


Barry introduced me to beeswax, and i fell in love! this piece got a little... melted, 'cause i originally hung it above the oven in my kitchen -- not such a good idea :)


Biola was too expensive even to audit, so after that I took a drawing class at the Community College, and loved that, too! I mean, I was REALLY unsure of myself at first “never” having drawn before. But my teacher, Alexandra Weisenfeld, was so encouraging! I felt like the star of the class – she not only praised my technical abilities in drawing, but also my playful, creative side – made me feel like a “real” artist with real potential. A couple of pieces from that class:


self-portrait

my "art area" (known to most artists as the studio? i guess because it's only part of a big room, we call it that...). picture got smudgy from being in my portfolio with charcoal drawings...

While I was taking that class, they had a contest at my work (Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles) for nurses to submit art pieces with a theme of “Family-centered care”, so I made a last minute piece and turned it in! that was so scary – putting myself out there like that… only about 7 nurses entered, but I WON! $500! It was crazy! And SO exciting! I took Jason out to dinner at the Yard House with that money to thank him for his support and celebrate with me, and then with the rest, every last penny went back into supplies and stuff for making more art! (if only every piece I made could be so profitable! I really could quit “work” and just “play” making art! :) think it’ll be a while before that happens…… ) Anyways, here’s that piece (I got paid $500 for it AND I got to keep it!)


1 comment:

Kelsey said...

YAY you're BLOGGING!!!! :)
Congrats on the contest, too!

Miss you and your belly (even though I have never actually seen it).

Love you!