Saturday, May 16, 2009

it all started with scrapbooking (2 of 2)

Then the transition to “art”. My husband and I love to go on “dates” to Borders. Sit in their café area and read together, drink yummy concoctions… so I would always grab a huge stack of all the scrapbooking magazines and thumb through them till I had so many new ideas floating around I had to go home and play (oh, and sometimes we buy books and magazines, too – we’re not JUST freeloaders ;)! Well, one day, somehow a Cloth Paper Scissors ended up in my stack and I started reading it, intrigued by the images and my very first introduction to mixed-media art – I think I read it cover-to-cover that day. But the article that drew me in the most was the one by Kelly Rae Roberts. I delighted in my first glimpses of her art, but even more than that, it was her story! So similar to mine. That she had been in the medical field, totally not using creative talents at all, and then eventually after she discovered the joy she had in creating, she took the daring step of leaving that stable career and dedicating herself to making art as a full-time endeavor! That has been my dream since that moment. I also had a friend at the same time who was an art teacher, who was working on developing her own portfolio, and we began to talk about her art and the altered books assignments she was giving her class… she started giving ME creative assignments, too! And it was all downhill from there for me! I couldn’t stop! I started taking art classes at local colleges, to try to develop some of those skills a little bit more, and I have fallen in love. My day no longer seems complete unless I’ve created something that day. I am obsessed with rust and all things distressed. I love texture and almost none of my pieces get away without some sewing pattern attached to it, making it all wrinkly…

1 comment:

travelblogue said...

I am so proud of you for actually starting your site! You are so brave and so sexy!