Thursday, March 11, 2010

the opening

last night, i went to my first art exhibit opening that had my art in it! so fun! not quite as exciting as i had first thought - when the e-mail came out saying we'd been accepted to the show, there were only 8 names on the poster... so i didn't know if that was all that had submitted, or if mine was one of "the chosen", but i was 1/8 of the show! then on the facebook event page, there were like 13 names listed... and all in all, there ended up being 26 artists with work up! over 50 pieces! which is exciting - there was a lot of great work represented there (my favorites were megan gonzalez, danielle camorlinga, and julis barbee) - but less "special" for me... still fun though! when we got to my pieces, they didn't have a label on the wall next to them with my name, e-mail, explanation of the piece like everyone else's did... i was a little disappointed (there goes my "exposure"! no one even knows who did it!) - and that's when we took this picture... little bit of fake smiling going on ;)


jason and i were debating whether to go ask Shannon, the curator, about it, but thought it'd be a little awkward/weird... while we were standing there talking about it, a girl came up to the director of the event, and asked if she knew whose pieces those were "cause i love them...!" i talked to her for a minute (turns out she is the wife of a friend of mine from high school! AND she had her own awesome piece in the show!), and then the curator runs over to us and says "jamie! (hi, i'm shannon) we don't have your label up there! hello?! this is the SHOW! i'm so sorry! i'm gonna go get it from my car right now!" we talked for a while, and when i told her it was the first time i'd been in a show, she asked how it felt... my response was "exciting... VULNERABLE" and she was saying how even more vulnerable it would be because i have my own image up there and my own journaling. so true. i'm "out there" for all to see! ...so take me or leave me but this is who i am! :)

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

So proud of you! :) Wish I could see it, but the photo with your smiling face is almost as good.

miller said...

Congrats! The label for your art was up when I got there...